Assam ‘Tonganagaon’ SFTGFOP1 is an organic black tea from Tonganageon Tea Garden in Assam, northeast India. The tea may carry the designation SFTGFOP 1. This is the highest quality attributed to Indian tea. The abbreviation stands for ‘Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe 1st grade’. The ‘golden tips’, like those in this Assam, are found only in carefully processed teas.
- Flavour: a malty, rarely bitter black tea with hints of liquorice and a spicy aftertaste.
- Harvest: ‘second flush’, May-June
- Origin: Tonganagaon Tea Garden, Tinsukia, Assam, India
- Cultivar: Camellia Assamica
- Altitude: 150 m above sea level
- Oxidation: 100%
- Weight: 100 gram
Tonganagaon Tea Garden
The name Tonganagaon can be traced to the Hindu god Parashurama. He reportedly carried an axe ‘Tongana’ and once visited the village of ‘Gaon’ near the location of the tea garden. Tonganagaon Tea Garden was established in 1927.
Steeping: 4-5 min. – water temperature: 100ºC – 1 teaspoon per cup